Publisher Kalypso Media and Australian developer Torus Games recently dropped the gameplay reveal trailer for Matchpoint – Tennis Championships, which is coming to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and PC in spring 2022. Unlike something like Mario Tennis Aces or whatever Nintendo Switch Sports ends up being, Matchpoint is aiming for a fully authentic tennis experience with gameplay driven by realistic physics.
As we previously reported, the roster will include real-life players Danill Medvedev, Garbine Muguruza, Andrey Rublev, Casper Ruud, Hubert Hurkaczs, Nick Kyrgios, Benoit Paire, Heather Watson, Hugo Gaston, Madison Keys, Victoria Azarenka, Carlos Alcaraz, Pablo Carreno Busta, Taylor Fritz, Amanda Anisimova, and Kei Nishikori. Like last time, I don’t know who any of those people are, but if you’re deeply interested in the game, there’s a good chance you know at least some of them.
In addition to the Matchpoint – Tennis Championships gameplay reveal trailer, here is a long list of other features to expect in the game on Nintendo Switch and other platforms this spring:
- Enter the world of professional tennis. Matchpoint – Tennis Championships offers a deep career mode featuring a unique merit-based ranking system.
- Create your 3D tennis star. Choose your look, fashion, and play style with an array of customization options, including true-to-life techniques such as left-or right-handed, one-handed, or two-handed backhand.
- Dominate the court as a tennis professional. Matchpoint – Tennis Championships features 16 real-life international tennis stars from the professional circuit, including Nick Kyrgios, Kei Nishikori, and Amanda Anisimova.
- Fully customize your athlete and wearables. From rackets to clothing, the game features gear from all of tennis’ name-brands including Babolat, YONEX, HEAD, and many more. Unlock special equipment by winning competitive matches.
- Master all strokes and shots in grand style. Determine the outcome of a rally by choosing the best technique for the time: topspin, flat, lob or slice shot.
- Study your rival’s moves and tactics. Watch your opponents and get to know their strengths and weaknesses to gain a tactical advantage before you even hit the court.
- Practice makes perfect: hire a personal coach to honor your skills. Buff your strengths and diminish your weaknesses with an in-game coaching system of individual training modules.
- Fine-tune your tactics in Practice and Training modes: Jump into a variety of mini-games to honor your perfect game and become a force to be reckoned with on the court.
- Compete in exhibition matches at spectacular venues around the globe. Each court has its own characteristics; Study your arenas of play and adapt your game to grass, clay and hard courts.
- Replay mode. Breakpoint or deciding match point, capture your fiercest rallies on film and study the outcomes to improve your game.
Head Copy Editor for Enthusiast Gaming, Managing Editor at The Escapist. I’m a writer who loves Super Nintendo and Japanese role-playing games to an impractical degree. I really miss living in South Korea. And I’m developing the game Boss Saga!